African Development Bank Group (AfDB), the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protocol Assistant
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Number: 50000205
Position Grade: GS7
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Department; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Function Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department:
- The role of the Office of the Secretary-General and the General Secretariat of the Bank (PSEG) is to facilitate the achievement of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy, the Five Priority Areas (Hi5) and the Development and Service Delivery Model ( DBDM) by improving the decision-making process of governance bodies and strengthening working relationships with shareholders and host countries of the Bank. PSEG comprises:
- The immediate Office of the Secretary General (PSEG.0) which has the additional responsibility of managing the Dissemination and Access to Information (DAI) and Archives section, the Institutional Governance Policy Coordination section and Statutory relations and Coordination of Conferences and Meetings;
- The Council Affairs and Procedures Division (PSEG1); and
- The Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division (PSEG2).
- The functions of PSEG2 in the context of the Bank’s objectives are to manage the relations between the African Development Bank and the Organs of the host country, to provide Protocol services relating to official ceremonies organized by the African Development Bank, to provide assistance to Elected staff, to manage the immunities and privileges granted to the African Development Bank and its staff.
The duties of the Protocol Assistant are as follows:
- Receive, process and carefully verify documents to maintain and strengthen the trust of African Development Bank partners
- Ensure the careful preparation of draft notes verbales addressed to the host country and diplomatic missions in with particular attention to preserving the Bank’s good image.
- Prepare administrative correspondence addressed to host country authorities taking into account local specificities.
- Manage day-to-day affairs with host country and diplomatic missions, in accordance with protocol standards and relevant instruments
- Ensure the faithful implementation of Partnership Agreements
Under the supervision and direction of the Principal Protocol Officer, the Protocol Assistant main tasks are to:
- Receive and process visa applications from staff members of the African Development Bank and their family members;
- Prepare notes verbales for visa applications;
- Send visa requests to diplomatic missions for missions, holidays, children’s study trips, medical evacuation and transit stays;
- File visa documents;
- Liaise between PSEG, various ministries and other host country authorities as well as between PSEG and the various Diplomatic Missions;
- Welcome and assist the President, Elected staff, official delegations and guests of the African Development Bank at the Airport;
- Keep monthly statistics on visa activities;
- Process and follow up on visa and residence applications with relevant services;
- Ensure protocol is respected at ceremonies and events organized or co-organized by the Bank;
- Contribute to ensuring that protocol is respected at African Development Bank Group Annual Meetings and other statutory meetings.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge):
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Diplomacy, Law and Administration or other related disciplines.
- Possess at least five (5) years of professional experience in the area of Protocol, Public Relations or Public Administration.
- The incumbent should also have work experience in a multicultural environment.
- General knowledge of Protocol and similar experience in an intergovernmental organization
- Possess sound knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); knowledge of eProtocol and an integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools would be an added advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 4th December, 2021.
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).