African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. We are recruiting ti fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Analyst, PECG0
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Number: 50104477
Position Grade: PL6
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priorities of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department:
The Climate Change and Green Growth Department has broad objectives of:
- Mainstreaming climate change and green growth into Bank’s High 5s’ operations;
- Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the Bank’s climate change interventions through the Bank’s Strategic Framework on Climate Change and Green Growth;
- Managing access to the growing number of sources of Green and Climate Finance for all Operational Vice Presidencies within the Bank;
- Assisting African countries to develop and implement their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and Long-Term Strategies (LTS), as well as to increase their access to global climate finance; and
- Leading all efforts within the Bank focused on minimizing and reversing the effects of Climate Change on the continent.
- The Department consists of two divisions, Climate and Green Growth Division, and Climate Finance Division, with support from the Director’s Front Office.
- The position holder will work under the functional supervision and guidance of the Director, Climate Change and Green Growth and in close collaboration with the Front Office Program Coordinator, Regional Climate Change and Green Growth Officers, and the Climate Finance Officers.
- The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Bank’s Climate Change and Green Growth strategic framework and related policies, procedures, and guidelines into the Bank’s operations both for private and public sectors.
- The holder of the position will also assist in ensuring that the Bank’s commitments as captured in the Climate Change and Green Growth Policy, Strategy and Action Plan, including the provision of USD 25 billion by 2025 and allocation 40% of project approvals as climate finance are met.
- Specifically, the Program Analyst will provide accurate and timely reports on the department portfolio, budget, operational procedures and reporting protocols in relation to the implementation of the departmental work plans and budgets.
- The Analyst will work with a wide variety of project types and financing structures, with the view of ensuring successful implementation of the various strategic partnerships and special initiatives of the Department, including the Africa NDC Hub, the African Financial Alliance on Climate Change (AFAC), the Africa Circular Economy Facility, among others. This requires knowledge of various operational guidelines and ability to engage in review processes to streamline monitoring, evaluation and reporting procedures,
- He/She will contribute and support new ideas, sharing knowledge and building capacity within the Department.
- The Program Analyst will monitor and track programs of activities, and budgetary allocation and use of Bank’s climate change and green growth initiatives consistent with agreed protocols and methodologies.
- He/She will also provide accurate and timely information on monitoring and reporting of Bank’s progress towards implementing strategic partnerships and special initiatives, including implementation status, finance disbursement and progress reporting, etc.
- The Analyst will be responsible for regularly updating the departmental dashboard, and tracking of work plans and key performance indicators.
- The Program Analyst has deep understanding of climate change and green growth strategic partnerships and special initiatives, and how to allocate and manage multiple sources of funds to support the initiatives, including administrative budgets and trust funds.
- He/she works closely with other Bank’s departments and sister organizations to apply harmonized reporting procedures whilst respecting the Bank’s particular structures and the interests of its shareholders.
- The work is technically diverse as it will include managing and tracking resources allocated across many thematic areas and special initiatives. Il also involves managing budgetary resources allocated to the initiatives hosted by the Department, in ensuring synergies across instruments and anticipating problems requiring management timely attention. To this extent, the Analyst works with staff within the Department and also with Task Managers across all Operational Complexes, building strong working relationships. Consequently, he/she will manage multiple tasks with varying levels of information and accountability.
- Under the overall and general guidance of the Director, and supervision of the Front Office Program Coordinator, the incumbent will perform the following:
- Design, where necessary, and manage systems for collecting, classifying, storing and retrieving information on special initiatives and strategic partnerships managed by the Department.
- Prepare periodic reports (e.g. annual report, quarterly updates and monthly briefs) on sources and uses of funds allocated to these initiatives to meet various reporting requirements.
- Participate in the further development and elaboration of financing protocols and methodologies, in collaboration with other MDBs and IFIs.
- Collate and report appropriate non-financial parameters and other indicators consistent with reporting and resource management requirements of strategic partnerships and special initiatives of the Department.
- Support climate finance portfolio management, monitoring and evaluation, including tracking of funding requests, processing timelines, implementation milestones and disbursements.
- Coordinate public relations workflow, web-presence, communications materials, including brochures and press releases.
- Carry-out research and prepare briefs as required by Management
- Provide deep analytical expertise in the use and management of resources allocated to the Department’s initiatives and workstreams
Competencies (Skills, Experience And Knowledge):
- At least a Master’s Degree in Finance, Project Management, Business Administration, Climate Change, Environment and Sustainable Development, Engineering, Energy economics and policy, or related discipline;
- A minimum of Four (4) Years’ experience in a combination of climate change related areas, including: climate policy; project development and management; resource management; finance; budget planning; management of special initiatives; trust fund management;
- Experience in managing resources for strategic partnerships and special initiatives, financial and project management;
- Field operational experience in the area of implementing climate change and green growth initiatives;
- Sound technical and analytical skills and established track record in operational and policy work and financial management of climate change, green growth and climate finance matters;
- Practical experience in applying tools and instruments for managing resources related to the climate change and green growth initiatives and strategic partnerships.
- Experience in stakeholder engagement with other partners on the harmonisation of accounting procedures
- Good understanding of project and financial management of climate change and green growth initiatives, and how to allocate and manage funds from multiple sources.
- Experience in anticipating problems requiring management timely attention, reporting, and resource management, and.
- Strong working relationships with other Bank’s departments and external partners.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP, SRAS and Bank-Wide Program Processing Schedule (BPPS) is desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 3rd September, 2021.
Important Information and Notice:
- This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Apply for this Position:
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.